STANLEY CARRIAGE HOUSE
Originally built in 1909, The Carriage House is the last of the original four structures on the Stanley Hotel campus in Estes Park, CO, to be renovated. Initially used to house F.O. Stanley’s steamer vehicles in the early 1900s, it was briefly transformed into a motel in the 1950s but has been left vacant for over a quarter century.
In collaboration with Saunders Heath, the MOA team made every effort was made to retain historical accuracy of the original construction by using similar materials and design of the original Carriage House. In areas where original materials were not reusable or repairable, similar construction craftsmanship and materials were used. Constructed without a foundation underneath, the project team lifted the roof off the structure and it aside while a foundation was excavated 14-feet inside the walls of the Carriage House. The team also preserved the historic roof structure of the building, which required detailed measurements to ensure that the new building structure would fit the existing roof. The Post Chicken and Beer restaurant occupies the first floor of the renovated building, designed to provide the Post’s trademark homey atmosphere. The basement space includes an 86-seat theater venue, Aiden Sinclair’s Underground, which offers a permanent home for the renowned illusionist.
Estes Park, Colorado
Planning, Design and Documentation, Construction Administration, Interior Design
Highlands Ranch Town Centerlearn more
Altitude Dialysis Training Centerlearn more